Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Moms In Training: Meet the Coach!


To say that Tara Thornberry is a busy woman would be an understatement.  She juggles a full time job, a busy family life that includes twin daughters, and dedicates her Saturday mornings to Moms In Training.  Below she talks about why she believes in this program, new to the North Texas Chapter of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, is worth other busy moms time as well.


"I started my journey with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training (TNT) in the Fall of 2006 when I decided to spruce up my workout routine with an attempt at triathlon.  After 6 months of training with TNT, I completed my first quarter iron triathlon with a smile on my face and immense gratitude in my heart.    After having such a memorable experience and meeting so many wonderful people I decided to continue on with TNT as a fundraising participant, a mentor, captain, assistant coach and eventually coach.


After a brief hiatus from TNT, to have twin girls in 2010, I needed my team again when I had a friend from high school lose her battle with cancer in November of 2011. One year later at the Nike Women's half marathon TNT provided the outlet I needed to celebrate my friends life and contribute to helping find a cure. I’ll admit though, as a new mom, it was hard balancing training for an endurance event and maintaining familial and work balance.


In the summer of 2013 TNT started recruiting help to get their newest aspiration, a Moms in Training 10k program, ready for launch.  I was beyond excited to get involved.  The prospect of being able to help other women be able to justify time away from their kiddos to stay healthy and help cure blood cancers sounded like a match made in heaven.  Participants could get all the benefits of training with a team, but it would be much easier to maintain a healthy balance with the rest of life.  


This past March our dreams of having a team like that came to fruition when I had the privilege of helping coach 8 ladies across the finish line for the relay portion of the Rock and Roll Half Marathon. It was amazing to watch with their friends and family as they crossed the finish line."



Moms In Training is currently forming a team now with the season kicking off this Saturday.  Join Tara as she trains with another group of incredible moms.  REGISTER TODAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment