Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Training Tip Tuesday: Coach Paula

My journey with TNT began back in the fall of  2005. As a birthday gift to myself, I decided to train for a half marathon. All my friends and family thought I had lost my mind. But, after seeing a TNT finisher picture a co-worker had on her desk, I knew this was something I wanted to accomplish. Well, on April 2, 2006, I crossed the finish line of the Big D Marathon in Dallas. The feeling was phenomenal!!! All the months of getting up early on Saturdays, enduring the cold weather & walking long (and I do mean LONG) miles were well worth it.
Since then, I have stayed actively involved with TNT. I have been an alumni, mentor, pit crew assistant and finally, one of the walking coaches for Fort Worth. The feeling you get with the organization is unbelievable. You will make life-long friends and marathons will become your addiction. And where else but TNT can you walk, run, cycle, swim or even hike as a hobby?

As a coach, one of the things that we can't stress enough is: NEVER try something for the first time right before or during a race. Experiment with supplements, different foods, or electrolyte drinks during your training. Don't be tempted at the expo to branch out and sample all the goodies. What works for another marathoner may not work for you.

Happy training and GO TEAM!

Paula Ford has been involved with TNT North Texas for 6 years and loves coaching the Ft. Worth Marathon Walkers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment