Pages

Saturday, February 1, 2014

20 Years of Team In Training in North Texas: 2007



2014 is a special year for the North Texas Team In Training (TNT) campaign.  It is celebrating 20 years of running, biking, and hiking to raise money for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and it's mission to find a cure for blood cancers.  Saturday, Feburary 8th TNT will kick off a year of celebrating.  To honor the thousands of North Texas TNT alumni and the millions of dollars they raised in that time, we are going to count down each year of the program leading up to the TNT Alumni "Celebrate You" event on Feburary 8th. 

2007
Four million dollars.  Team In Training athletes across North Texas raised $4 million in 2007 - making it the highest raised in one year in the history of North Texas.  2007 was also the year Don Armstrong first laced up his running shoes for TNT.  He has since been a participant, coach, mentor, honored hero and organizer of the Honored Hero Run to benefit LLS.

What is your favorite memory of TNT?
I don't really have one memory that is my favorite.  My lasting impressions are the purple race shirts (on event day) from around the United States and Canada, the cheers of GO TEAM!, and the inspiration of the Honored Heroes.

What brought you to TNT originally?
I am an AML survivor.  In the spring of 2007 I was searching for a way to become involved with LLS.  I found TNT on the LLS website.  I signed up for an event information meeting in South Fort Worth.  I attended the Kick off for the Summer Season and signed up for the San Diego Rock n Roll marathon.  That event was amazing and I haven't stopped doing events and raising money since June of 2007.

What about TNT makes you keep coming back?
I am optimistic that a cure will be found for blood cancer will be found in the very near future.  I am aware that a cure will be found if we (TNT collectively as a group) continue our fund raising efforts.  The answer to cancer is research and research is driven by the number of dollars we can raise.   

What do you want to see in the next 20 years for TNT in North Texas?
I would like to see continued awareness of TNT in North Texas.  I am confident that we (LLS as an organization) can raise more dollars if additional folks know about our mission.  My 20 year stretch goal is be a part of funding and finding a cure for blood cancer.

What was the best part of the 2007 San Diego Rock N Roll Marathon?
The overwhelming support and encouragement from folks around the United States.  


How many events have you done with TNT?
I am training for my 18th event!

No comments:

Post a Comment