Pages

Monday, December 22, 2014

Meet the Coach: Albert Chavira



Albert Chavira is a cycle coach for Team In Training (TNT) this summer season.  Considering signing up for a century ride?  Learn more about Albert and what he thinks people need to do in order to be successful in their training.

How long have you been coaching with TNT and what was your first event?
My first TNT event was Moab in 2003 as a participant with our mountain bike program.  My coach, John Raub, asked if I'd be interested in mentoring and possibly coaching down the road.  In 2005 I was given that opportunity and I've been coaching ever since!

What is your coaching style?
It's simple, really, I coach with passion.  I'm passionate for the cause, I'm passionate about my team and I'm passionate about the TNT program.  I enjoy exchanging energy with my participants and I take that energy and reciprocate it back tenfold.

Some people are intimidated by the idea of training for a 100 mile bike ride.  What advice would you give them?
I'd start by asking what hesitations they have about training.  Once I know their concerns, I can then address them accordingly.  My role as a coach is to motivate, inspire and to lead but I can't pedal for anyone.  However, if you're willing to give the program a try (take the first pedal stroke), then I promise to provide you with the skills necessary to get you across that finish line, even if it's on a tricycle!

Is there an Honored Hero who has left a lasting impact on you?  Who and why?
A little boy named Parker Fritsch was my first Honored Hero.  He was diagnosed with leukemia (Philadelphia Positive) at the age of three.  At the time, only 4% of all acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) patients were Philadelphia Positive, which translated to a more aggressive type of leukemia.  Parker was prescribed Gleevec and it was that drug that helped keep him alive prior to his bone marrow transplant.  As for Parker, he's a freshman this year at Buchanan High School in California and he enjoys painting and golf.  Parker is living proof that our fundraising dollars do make a difference!

What is the best kept secret about TNT?
Well now, it wouldn't be a secret if I told you!  Come on out to training and find out yourself, all that we ask is that you give the program a try.  Who knows, maybe one day down the road you'll be asked to answer questions like I have today.

What is the best training advice you have ever received?
I attended my first TNT info meeting back in 2003.  The cycle coach that was speaking, David Gerard, told me the following, "Albert, you'll get out of the program whatever you put into it."  You can get on your bike, train by  yourself throughout the season and still make it to your event but if you show up on Saturday and train with your teammates, coaches and mentors, you'll get much more enjoyment out of the program.  He said to me that he met some of his best friends through TNT and if weren't for the investment of time that he put into the program, it would not have been possible.  I believed him then and I believe it to be true today!

Join Albert this summer season and train for America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride in Lake Tahoe.  Participants can select 35, 72 and 100 mile distances for this June ride.  Learn more at www.teamintraining.org/ntx and meet Albert at an upcoming training.

No comments:

Post a Comment