Pages

Monday, August 7, 2017

Meet Haley Smoot

The North Texas Chapter of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is pleased to introduce you to Haley Smoot.  She recently joined the North Texas LLS family and is the new Campaign Manager for our Student Series program. She is busy prepping for the upcoming school year.  Haley answered a couple questions so you can get to know her better.

1. Tell us about your nonprofit background.

I first became involved in nonprofit work when I was 16. I volunteered to help my aunt after she founded the Sarah Friend Heart Foundation in memory of my 12 year old cousin who died suddenly from an undetected heart condition. The purpose of the organization was to raise awareness of sudden cardiac arrest in kids and the need for defibrillators in schools and public places. Ultimately, the Foundation played a major role in the passage of legislation in Texas requiring schools to have defibrillators on site.

From there, I continued on a career path in public health, focusing primarily on policy and advocacy and working for the U.S. Senate, the American Heart Association, and the Texas Health and Human Services Commission. Despite my diverse background, there are two common themes throughout my work: to help people and to promote a culture of health.

2. What attracted you to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society?
I actually lost my father to colon cancer two months before I came to LLS. We watched my dad fight a harrowing two-year battle, and his death left my family reeling. We lived through two years of visits to the E.R., hospital stays, and chemotherapy treatments that pushed my dad to the brink of death, only to lose him after all of that. My dad had also lost his father to colon cancer when he was only eight years old, and other members of our family have fought the same disease. When my dad’s father was diagnosed with colon cancer, there was little that could be done. Because of the advancement of technology and treatments, my dad lived to 72. But there’s still so much work that needs to be done.

One thing I learned first-hand is that patients and their families need all the information, resources, and support they can get when fighting cancer. I’m proud to work for an organization that not only provides helpful resources but also funds research to find cures. Because of organizations like LLS, patients and their families have better access to information and support that are critical resources in the fight against cancer.


3. What do you think is so interesting about working with teams and individuals in a fundraising capacity?

I love working with people and learning what they’re passionate about. Every person and every team that commits to a fundraising campaign has something that motivates them. The passion that they show is inspiring and impactful, and their stories of how cancer has personally affected them serves as a daily reminder of why we do the work we do.

4. What are you most looking forward to with the Student Series program this next school year?
Working with kids. Most of the roles I've held throughout my career have focused on children in some capacity. I think the drive, compassion, and overall impact young people can have is truly amazing. Research has shown that this new generation, Gen Z, is motivated by the desire to make the world a better place. Gen Z is going to change the world.

You can reach Haley at 972.996.5933 or Haley.Smoot@lls.org

4 comments:

  1. I'm 55-year-old from Korean, I was diagnosed with second-stage liver cancer following a scheduled examination to monitor liver cirrhosis. I had lost a lot of weight. A CT scan revealed three tumors; one in the center of my liver in damaged tissue and two in healthy portions of my liver. No chemotherapy or radiotherapy treatment was prescribed due to my age, the number of liver tumors. One month following my diagnosis I began taking 12 (350 point) Salvestrol supplements per day, commensurate with my body weight. This comprised six Salvestrol Shield (350 point) capsules and six Salvestrol Gold (350 point) capsules, spread through the day by taking two of each capsule after each main meal. This level of Salvestrol supplementation (4,000 points per day) was maintained for four months. In addition, I began a program of breathing exercises, chi exercises, meditation, stretching and stress avoidance. Due to the variety of conditions that I suffered from, I received ongoing medical examinations. Eleven months after commencing Salvestrol supplementation But all invalid so I keep searching for a herbal cure online that how I came across a testimony appreciating Dr Itua on how he cured her HIV/Herpes, I contacted him through email he listed above, Dr Itua sent me his herbal medicine for cancer to drink for two weeks to cure I paid him for the delivering then I received my herbal medicine and drank it for two weeks and I was cured until now I'm all clear of cancer, I will advise you to contact Dr Itua Herbal Center On Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. WhatsApps Number...+2348149277967. If you are suffering from Diseases listed below, Cancer, HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus, Hepatitis, Chronic Illness. Lupus,Fibromyalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to share with you all on how Dr Itua saves my life with his powerful Herbal medicines, I was diagnosed of Oral/Ovarian Cancer which i suffered from for 5 years with no positive treatment until when My son came to me in the hospital when i was laying down on my dying bed waiting for god to call out my name to join him in heaven.
    My son was so excited that very day he came across Dr Itua on Blogspot, we decided to give him a try although we Americans are so scared to trust Africans but i really have no choice that time to choose life in between so we gave a try to Dr Itua Herbal medicines, god wiling he was a good man with a god gift. Dr Itua send us the herbal medicine it was three bottles. I take it for three weeks instructor and this herbal medicines heal me, cure my Oral/Ovarian Cancer completely I have been living for 9 months now with healthy life no more symptoms.
    I'm sponsoring Dr Itua in LA Advert on Cancer patent seminar which my son will be participating too and other patent Dr Itua has cured from all kind of human disease, also if you are sick from disease like,Epilepsy,Breast Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Brain cancer,Hiv,. Vaginal cancer,Herpes,Colon-Rectal Cancer,Chronic Disease.Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity,Multiple myeloma,Tach Diseases,Leukemia,Liver cancer,
    Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,,Bladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
    Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Adrenal cancer.Bile duct cancer,Bone cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Cervical Cancer,Oral cancer,Hepatitis,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, Stomach cancer
    Testicular cancer,
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis,Vulvar cancer,Ovarian cancer,,Sinus cancer, Here Is The Wonderful Healer Contact. Name_ Doctor Itua, Email Contact: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, Phone/WhatsApp: +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete



  3. My advice for everyone female out there is a solution to get rid of fibroids without going through surgery.Am really grateful and thankful for what @iya_hindi_root_and_herbs has done for me and my family. I Was having Fibroids for good three years with no solution, the Fibroid almost took my life and because I was unable to work and I was also loosing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great man so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. he cured me of my diseases and am so happy and so pleased to Write about him today. Please link him up on IG @iya_hindi_root_and_herbs: hindinative@yahoo.com Or whatsApp him via: +19145295224 visits his register website: https://iyahindinative .com/ I am very very happy for the great work he did !....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Assalamu'alaikum , Do you need a financial loan help with at 2% interest rate? Our loan ranges from $3,000.00 for more information Contact Us abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
    whatspp Number +918929490461
    Mr Abdullah

    ReplyDelete