Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Meet the Coach: Maria Minter


Maria Minter is a longtime supporter and coach for Team In Training.  This season she is taking on a new challenge - coaching the Moms In Training program.  Moms In Training is an 8-week training program designed specifically for new moms looking to get back in shape and meet other moms looking to do the same.  The Moms In Training team will be participating in 10k length of the Rock N Roll Marathon in Dallas.  Read why Maria might be the best coach to help you get started running again.

How long have you been coaching with TNT and what was your first event?
I have coached two seasons, Winter 2011 and Winter 2012, for the Northwest Cities Marathon team.  I am excited to be coaching again!  My first TNT event as a participant was the Nike Women's Marathon in 2006.

What is your style of coaching?
I wouldn't say I have one style for everyone.  I tailor my coaching based on the needs of the participants.  In all circumstances I strive to ensure that participants have a safe, successful and meaningful experience.

Some people are intimidated by the idea of getting back to training after have a child.  What advice would you give them?
Starting anything new can be a little scary but Team In Training provides and incredible support system and we'll be with you literally every step of the way.  Runners and walkers of all fitness levels take part in the program.  So whether you are a beginner or a life-long athlete, you'll find common ground with other participants.

Is there an Honored Hero who has left a lasting impact on you?  Who and why?
I joined TNT in 2006 to run in honor of my sister-in-law, Stephanie Henkel.  One month before my first TNT event, Stephanie passed away.  I continue to run in Stephanie's memory and I also run in honor of the wonderful Honored Heroes I've met including: "Mascot Dave" Eckberg, Frank Payne, Brooke Suarez, Roxanne Maham and Dana Howe, just to name a few.

What is the best kept secret about TNT?
I'd definitely say the meaningful and lasting relationships you'll form with fellow participants.  If you're a Team In Training alumni reading this, you're nodding your head in agreement, aren't you?!?  :)TNT is how I met some of my dearest friends and wonderful husband, Ryan.

Interested in learning more about Moms In Training?  Watch this video and get inspired by the program and its participants.  Learn more at www.teamintraining.org/ntx/moms.  Go TEAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment