Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Meet the Coach: Val Gray


If you've been at White Rock Lake on a Saturday morning and have heard an enthusiastic "Go TEAM" as you run by a group of runners, you've probably "met" Val Gray.  She is one of the Dallas Marathon coaches this season and a staple on some of Dallas' most frequented running trails.  Read below as you get to know the woman behind the inspirational Saturday morning cheering.

What is something special about the Walt Disney World Half Marathon that people would not know from reading the event brochure?
The fun that you will have going through the theme parks will bring a smile to your face and it will not feel like a race.  The support of the people cheering you on is also just amazing.

Tell us about how a specific participant inspired you during the last season you coached. 
The fall season trains during the hot summer months.  The participants inspired me by showing up for trainings no matter how hot it was outside.  Our team had collected money throughout the season for one lucky participant to win the entry pot to go toward their fundraising account.  The participant who won the pot decided to donate it to my Disney fundraising efforts instead of keeping it for their own fundraising efforts.

Tell us about a specific moment during training that made you realize just how special it is to be a part of Team In Training.
Once I had to run 13 training miles in the rain and Coach Joe was there until the end and greeted me with a big umbrella.  Another time I suffered a leg cramp during a training and I was able to call Coach Joe to come and pick me up.

Share a quote that helps to keep you motivated during difficult trainings.
When I feel that I want to give up, my mantra is "I think I can, I think I can and then when I am at the end I say to myself, 'I did it!'"

Join Val and the Team In Training family for an event this fall.  Check out the events currently being listed and get registered by visiting www.teamintraining.org/ntx

No comments:

Post a Comment