Pages

Monday, March 7, 2016

Meet the Coach: Bandi Kapka


Brandi Kapka is not new to Team In Training but she is dedicated to finding ways to keep the weekly trainings fun and exciting for her participants.  She is the co-coach for the Fort Worth marathon team during the SPRUMMER season.  She answered a couple of our questions so you can get to know her better.

What brought you to Team In Training?  
Back in 2009 after first moving to Fort Worth, I found myself wondering if I could ever run or walk any kind of distance event. Well, after watching one of my friend's journey, a real couch potato type, through Team In Training, I decided if she could do it, so could I!  So I signed up, scared to death, thinking I would definitely have to walk.  There was no way in the world I thought God would give me the gift to run a half marathon.  I was wrong... and after that 1st event, I was hooked!

Why did you want to become a Team In Training coach?
To be honest, I'm not sure.  Funny huh?  I knew I loved training with the team.  I also knew they had quickly become my second family and the best friends ever.  So of course, I became a mentor first.  Then the opportunity was presented to me to coach, and I thought "Why not?"  It was sort of a given that I would take that next step.  I"ve been told I have a natural teacher like personality, but with Team in Training, it was more about encouraging others to achieve something I once never thought was possible for myself.  Not to mention a pretty great common goal that we were all running, and fundraising for together.

What should people know about your coaching style?
I'm silly, quirky, and unusually loud and funny on early Saturday mornings.  I often have been told that I am so passionate about Team in Training in general, that I will just go on and on with coaching tips and constantly pushing team mates to go a little further, or give it a little more.

What advice would you give to somebody who is intimidated by fundraising?  
I'd say.... "Fundraising? Of course it's intimidating!"  But if you lean on your coaches and mentors that have experience for support, there is no way it should become too intimidating to try.  Start early, get it over with fast, talk to EVERYONE you bump in to, and most of all, don't be afraid to hear a NO THANK YOU.

What advice would you give to somebody who is concerned about training for an endurance race?  
I'd share my experience and struggles but always mention the TEAM aspect to the participant. I think for most, the biggest encouragement comes from the people you are training with.  Leaning on them for support and company makes each training easier.


Best training/race tip you have ever received.
You've heard "don't try anything new on race day" right?  Well, how about "don't try anything new on race WEEK"!  Stick to what you know and is familiar in those final days before a race.  And absolutely, 100%, don't do what I did once (and only once).... Don't donate blood one week before your event!

It's not too late to join Brandi and the TEAM this season.  Register today at www.teamintraining.org/ntx

No comments:

Post a Comment