Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Student of the Year Khirstyn Vu



Student of the Year candidate Khirstyn Vu is in the middle of her six-week fundraising blitz for the North Texas Chapter of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS).  Vu, a senior at Juan Sequin High School in Arlington, is no stranger to getting involved in extracurricular activities and looking to help others.  Below she answers some questions about herself and her decision to participate in the inaugural Student of the Year campaign in North Texas.

What interested you in applying for Student of the Year?
Initially during the time I had applied for Student of the Year, I was looking up ways to cheer up my aunt. At the time she had just been diagnosed with cancer, and I wanted to see what I could do to show that I supported her, despite the fact that she lives halfway across the country from me.  After thinking it over for a few weeks I decided to apply because I am avidly searching for scholarships so I thought it would be a good chance to try all while taking part in a great cause.

What other organizations or extracurricular activities are you involved in?
I am a part of our church's youth group, interned with public relations at a local hospital, and even had the chance to work on patient floors as well as the emergency room. Outside of school I have the privilege to volunteer at health clinics to provide free aid and diabetes testing for our community, help out at nursing homes by carrying out the musical memory program as well as tactile therapeutic games, and have been an active member of our local Medical Reserve Corps of Tarrant County. I am also involved in various extracurricular such as Spanish Club, Chorale, The Environmental Club, Student Council, National Art Honor Society, National Technical Honor Society, and a few more where I hold various leadership positions. Additionally, I am president of our Health Occupation Students of America, Future Business Leaders of America, National Honor Society, and Key Club chapters.

What do you hope to achieve while participating in this campaign with LLS?
Throughout the campaign I hope to achieve optimal results just as every other candidate. I am striving to do the best I can for LLS and in the end I want to be able to say that my best was good enough. I have come to find that the task at hand was not as easy as I thought it would be. I just hope my aunt is proud of me for helping others as I know she has been doing all of her life. She is the strongest woman I know, and a survivor. I aspire to be a fighter, to be intelligent, and to help others when they need me just as my aunt.

Favorite Quote
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1

The student who raises the most money during the six-week campaign will earn scholarship money for college.  You can be there when the winner is announced!  Tickets for the "Boots and Bling" Grand Finale Celebration is scheduled for Friday, April 8th at the Renaissance Hotel are now on sale.  You can purchase a single ticket or buy a table.  Learn more about the program at www.ntxstudentoftheyear.org or contact Paige Wiebler.

No comments:

Post a Comment