Pages

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Student of the Year Candidate:Lindsey Abbott


The 2nd Annual North Texas Student of the Year program boasts a strong class of high school candidates this year.  These students are currently competing in a six-week fundraising campaign to raise funds for and awareness of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS).  Alvord High School student Lindsey Abbott is one of the candidates and introduced herself and discusses why she chose to compete in this campaign this year.  


What interested you in applying for Student of the Year?  
I was interested in SOY because the LLS is doing great things for the fight against blood cancer, and I wanted to take part in that. I've lost friends to blood cancer, and I want to help create a world where nobody has to watch blood cancer win.

What other organizations or extracurricular activities are you involved in?
I'm involved in lots of extracurricular activities such as Student Council, FCCLA, and Horticulture Club. I am Alvord FFA President, District 1 FFA Student Advisor, and NHS Vice President. I also love being a Vacation Bible School Worship Leader at my church, and I'm frequently involved in various community service activities.

What do you hope to achieve while participating in this campaign with LLS?
The main thing I hope to achieve while participating in this campaign is to help educate people on what the LLS does and what blood cancers are. I feel like blood cancer is overlooked because people don't understand how terrible it is. 

Where are you planning to go to school next year?
I will be attending Texas A&M University in the fall where I will be majoring in Biomedical Sciences. I'm so excited to (officially) become a part of the Aggie Family!

Favorite Quote: 
My favorite quote is actually a bible verse. "The Lord is close to the broken hearted. He rescues those whose spirits are crushed." - Psalm 34:18. This always gives me hope whenever I'm feeling lonely, afraid, or just in need of some extra hope. It reminds me that even if I may feel destroyed, God is always there to pick me up and put all my pieces back together.

* * * * * * *

The 2017 Student of the Year Grand Finale will be held on Friday, April 7th at the Renaissance Hotel Dallas.  Tickets and tables are still available for purchase.  Click here to buy tickets and learn more about the campaign and its candidates.

No comments:

Post a Comment