Pages

Thursday, April 6, 2017

#TNTBECAUSE - Meet Talya Sapienza


We are continuing our series on the blog with interviewing current Team In Training participants. Today we are chatting with Talya Sapienza. Talya has been involved with LLS since 2012.  She is currently training for the 2017 Boston Marathon and will be one of only 2 TNT participants representing Texas! So far she has raised over $11,056 for LLS. 
Talya Steeping across the finish line here in Dallas at Tuers de Fleurs

1. What made you decide to run Boston Marathon?
It's my home city. I grew up in Massachusetts. I pahk my cah and love a subway. I will never forget the day my mom called me to tell me the Marathon had been bombed. I lived here, and at the time, they were still living there. I was devastated. Even though I was 2,000 miles away I was angry that someone had messed with my city. My determination to go back and run those streets started on that day.

2. What does it mean to you that you secured one of the coveted spots for this race?
It is an honor beyond compare. I cannot even put it into words, and often when I think about it, I still tear up. It is like someone has just given you your dream!

3. What got you involved with Team In Training?

Originally my nana. She was diagnosed with adult chronic Leukemia and it eventually took her life when I was in college. She taught me to fight and never give up. She is a guardian angel that keeps me sane on those long miles. After I joined I met my honored hero, Grayson Hughes. He was this helpless little person with bandages and tubes. He could barely keep his eyes awake he was so exhausted most of the time during meetings. Soon after I became close with his mom, my best friend, and the entire family. I saw treatments and on an amazing day in Jan. I saw him ring the survivor bell. He is healthy and a total inspiration. I run for him and for my nana. 

Grayson ringing his survivor bell that he donated to Children's Plano.

4. Finish this sentence, I do “TNTBecause…” 

I can! I am a healthy person that has the ability to run and raise money for patients to get better treatment, as well as research to find a cure. I am honored and blessed on so many levels to be able to do this. To me it is a no-brainer.

5. Tell us about your involvement with Team Ecks Factor. 

I was approached not too long ago through a friend of a friend to maybe give my fundraising earnings to a local team. When they told me the story of Team Ecks Factor I thought, "Of course"! I love knowing that I was a part of something larger than myself. It is just a great team! There are 26.2 miles in a marathon, and I definitely have more than 26 reasons to run for team in training.

Pictured above is my Boston team before we went out on our 20 mile training run last weekend.
  ______________________________________________________________________________


 Anyone can join Team Ecks Factor and help them reach their goal of $250,000!

Register for an event today.

No comments:

Post a Comment