Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Mother's Day Profile: Kristy Borden

My name is Kristy Borden and I am a mother of three absolutely amazing beautiful children. In 2008 our lives were considered "normal" - busy, self-consumed, and on the fast track. My youngest daughter Kelcey was enjoying her freshman year of high school, cheering for the Valley View Football team when she came home from practice one evening and mentioned that her under arm hurt from cheering and lifting.  I gave her Advil and thought no more of it until about a week later she mentioned it still hurting so I made an appointment to see our family doctor.  Our physician was glad we had came in, thinking it could be a staph infection under her arm. That was not the circumstance and over the weekend she was in more pain and discomfort. We knew it was time to seek more specialized treatment and we were then referred to Cook Children’s in Fort Worth.  After being admitted, doctors began performing tests and trying to diagnose her condition, and after what seemed an eternity the results from a biopsy came back.  We received a diagnosis that we were not in any way prepared for and as a result had changed our family’s focus.

Kelcey was diagnosed with stage 3 Non Hodgkin’s Larger cell Anaplastic Lymphoma Tcell.  That was a lot to process and I had no idea what it was, why it happened to my baby, or what was ahead of her. The worst day of my life.  As parents you never want to see your child in pain far less fighting for their life. I went into research mode.  I needed to know what this was and what to expect, that is when The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) became a valuable resource of information.

I am happy to report that today Kelcey is attending her first year of college and has plans to pursue a career in the medical field. She will celebrate her fourth year cancer free this October.

During one of Kelcey’s weekly visits to her oncologist I picked up a brochure for Team In Training (TNT) and held onto it.  I told myself that is something I would like to be involved with someday in the future.  So here I am.  I have now completed several events with TNT and have no plans to stop.  My biggest reason for joining TNT was to raise funds for much needed research and awareness as I am very passionate about the LLS mission and I have had the opportunity to witness the impact that LLS is making in the lives of many.  Kelcey is my hero, my inspiration and motivation to never give up until there is a cure so that someday no mother’s child will have to battle a blood cancer. This is my prayer and I am relentless for a cure!

If you would like to take time to honor a mother, like Kristy, in your life please consider making a donation to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society this Mother's Day. 

Make a donation online or via mail and a letter of recognition of your gift will be sent to the mother you are honoring with your donation.  You are also welcome to mail in a donation to: LLS, Attn: Mother's Day, 8111 LBJ Fwy., Ste 425, Dallas, TX 75251.

Thank you and Happy Mother's Day from the North Texas Chapter of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment