Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

20 Years of Team In Training in North Texas: 2002



2014 is a special year for the North Texas Team In Training (TNT) campaign.  It is celebrating 20 years of running, biking, and hiking to raise money for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and it's mission to find a cure for blood cancers.  Saturday, Feburary 8th TNT will kick off a year of celebrating.  To honor the thousands of North Texas TNT alumni and the millions of dollars they raised in that time, we are going to count down each year of the program leading up to the TNT Alumni "Celebrate You" event on Feburary 8th. 

2002
Team In Training revolutionized the fundraising process in 2002 with the introduction of the online fundraising pages.  This streamlined approach to helping participants solicit donations has been instrumental in helping North Texas athletes raise millions of dollars since.  Sarah Sherman, the longest tenured North Texas TNT staff member, also laced up her shoes for TNT in 2002 for the first time.  After that, she was hooked.


What is your favorite memory of TNT?
My favorite memory of TNT is crossing the finish line at my very first event – the Country Music Marathon in Nashville back in 2002.  I was a college student at the time and once I completed my event I was hooked on the mission of LLS.  

What brought you to TNT originally?
One of my dear childhood friends, Anna, lost her battle with Leukemia in 1996.  I continue to work tirelessly for our mission to cure blood cancers in her memory.  

What about TNT makes you keep coming back?
After completing my first TNT event and graduating from college,  I came to work for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  Over the last 10 years,  I have come into contact with thousands of patients who have endured extensive treatment for their diseases.  These patients rely on the research and services that the Society offers to them.  I’ve met so many incredible people who are all working together to find a cure for blood cancers. 

What do you want to see in the next 20 years for TNT in North Texas?
I pray that I’m out of a job sooner than later because we have found a cure for these terrible blood cancers. 

What was the best part of working for Team In Training?
1.      I spent 6 years managing the Triathlon teams here in North Texas.  I had the privilege of supporting thousands of first time athletes as they completed their TNT events all over the globe.    I have so many fond memories of each of my teams and watching these nervous beginner athletes turn into confident triathletes!

How many events have you done with TNT?
I’ve participated in the Country Music Marathon in Nashville in 2002 and the Big Kahuna Half Ironman Triathlon in Santa Cruz, CA in 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment