Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Meet Michael Iyescas

The North Texas School & Youth team picked u p a new member over the Summer.  Meet Michael Iyescas.  He comes to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) with a strong background in education and is excited to start reaching out to schools in a couple weeks.

We asked him a couple questions in order for you to get to know him better.

Tell us about your background in education.
I taught high school biology in the Dallas/Fort Worth area for two years.  It was a very rewarding and challenging experience that taught me a lot about how to build and manage relationships with young adults.  It was also enlightening in the sense that I became more aware and focused on my social capacity and how I could continue to develop these skills in the future.

Why did you choose LLS and the School & Youth program?
Gaining a sense of purpose in an occupational role is key, in my opinion.  LLS provides a foundation that allows you to utilize your strengths and skill set towards a noble cause.  Research and community service have always been passions of mine and I believe that joining LLS will further solidify these passions moving forward.

Why do you think children are so successful in raising money for LLS?
For one thing, children are very compassionate, energetic and full of life.  When we approach schools with a wonderful service opportunity that's engaging, fun, educational and makes a tremendous impact; everybody seems to get fired up and rally behind the LLS mission.

What do you want people to know about you?
I have an affinity for helping people lead healthier, more enriched lives.  I am also very passionate about science and love learning new things every day.  I also really enjoy traveling, experiencing diverse cultures and meeting new people and hearing their stories.

If you had a spare $50, how would you spend it?I would visit a nearby restaurant or coffee shop and secretly sponsor orders for customers.  Pay it forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment