Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Meet the Coach: Will Bacon


Meet Will Bacon.  He is one of the marathon coaches for the Spring 2015 season.  He is deeply dedicated to the mission of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) and passionate about helping all Team In Training (TNT) participants succeed in their goal of raising money for LLS and training for their race.  Will answered a couple questions below so you can get to know him better.

How long have you been coaching with TNT and what was your first event?
This is my second season coaching with TNT.  My first coaching season was Spring 2014 and I coached for the Dallas Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon and Nike Women's Half Marathon in Washington DC.  My first event as a participant was Solvang Century in 2004.

What is your style of coaching?
I want everyone to have fun.  We don't HAVE to do this, we GET to do this!  I will never ask any participant to do something I haven't done and the majority of the time I will be training right there with my team.

It is more rewarding for me to see my team cross the finish line than it is for me to finish my own events.  Seeing my team work hard and accomplish something, that in some cases they didn't think they could, is a very special reward!

Some people are intimidated by the idea of training for a half or full marathon. What advice would you give them?
Trust the training.  You can do it and you WILL do it... and your coaches will be with you the whole way!

If there an Honored Hero that has left a lasting impact on you?  Who and why?
My first Honored Hero is my niece - Allie Ciulla.  So in a sense, she is the reason I started with TNT and she will always my my original Honored Hero.  Since 2004, I have met and been inspired by so many new Honored Heroes and their families - Georgia Moore, Grayson Hughes, Lainey Thomas, Griffin Yarbrough, Bill Luisi, Pete Danna and Bennett Williams just to name a few.

What is the best kept secret about TNT?
The attention and support you get from the coaches and staff is amazing!  From the coaching plans, the support on the training routes, and the support during the race - participants are never "doing it on their own."  The support system is amazing.

Additionally, the number of people who have participated in TNT is overwhelming.  Whenever you are wearing your purple jersey, complete strangers will give you a "GO TEAM!"  It really is a huge family.

What is the best training advice you have ever received?
Have FUN!  Don't stress - we are suppose to be having fun.  Trust the training, have fun and the results will be there.  Guaranteed!

Get a coach and get a plan.  With TNT, participants get both.  We develop the training plan and help the participant develop a race plan to ensure a great training and race day experience.

Join Will's team this Spring 2015 season and register at www.teamintraining.org/ntx

GO TEAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment