Pages

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Meet Heather Evans - New LLS Staff

Heather Evans has been involved with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society since 2008 when she began as a volunteer for the Georgia chapter. She lost her grandfather to Multiple Myeloma so she says that she will fight until there is a cure. Heather will be managing the Team In Training program in North Texas.  Below she answered a couple questions about herself.


1. Tell us about your nonprofit background.

I have been involved with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society since 2008. I began as a volunteer and intern with Georgia Chapter of Light The Night. I worked on the Atlanta event in 2008 and after my internship finished, I transitioned into a coordinator position with Student Series. I worked with schools across Georgia to implement planning meetings and school assemblies. During the 2008- 2009 school year, Georgia schools raised nearly $509,000 to benefit The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. In January 2010, I transitioned back to Light The Night as a Campaign Manager. I worked with 15 corporate teams in Metro Atlanta and also oversaw the event in Albany, GA. In addition to working on Student Series and Light The Night, I also started training for my first Team In Training event as a teammate in 2009 and served as Team In Training Mentor in 2010.

2. What attracted you to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society?

The mission. I lost my grandfather to Multiple Myeloma . At the end of his battle he was in ICU; I was too young at the time to go up to the ICU floor. My grandfather passed away the day he was supposed to come home; I never got to say goodbye in person. I remember getting home from school that day, excited to go to visit him. My mom should have been waiting for me, but it was my dad’s car parked in the driveway; dad was always home for dinner, but not usually earlier during the work week. I knew as soon as I saw my dad’s car that my grandfather hadn’t made it home that day. I miss him every day and I am committed to finding a cure, so no one else has to lose their grandfather or grandmother, mother or father, son or daughter, brother or sister, or friend or any other member of their family. I will fight until there is a cure.

3. What do you think is so interesting about working with teams and individuals in a fundraising capacity?

The best part about helping others reach their fundraising goals is when they make it! People come to Team In Training for a variety of reasons; some of a connection to the mission, others have a fitness goal, but no matter what originally brought them to TNT, nothing beats the feeling of knowing you have reached your fundraising goal, and those dollars that you have raised will go towards making tremendous strides in the fight against blood cancers!


4. What are you most looking forward to with the Team In Training Campaign this year?

Having participated in TNT myself, I always look most forward to watching the teammates cross the finish line in their purple jersey. I hope that all teammates wear their purple with pride. Completing an endurance event isn’t easy, but these amazing teammates complete their events while also raising thousands of dollars for blood cancer. Whether it’s someone’s first or fiftieth TNT event, there is so much to celebrate as they cross the finish line; because of them we are one step closer to a cure.


5. What do you want people to know about you?

I live by the saying that “Life is a journey…not a destination.” It’s been written across my feet since I was eighteen years old; after all, our feet are the means by which we take our journey.  I have a passion for travel and have visited over twenty-five countries.  I am committed to making my own journey on this planet and everyone’s as meaningful as possible.

You can find Heather in and out of our Dallas office.  She can be reached via email at heather.evans@lls.org or phone at 972.996.5939. Welcome to LLS!  We are so excited to have you on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment