Monday, April 6, 2015
Meet the Coach: Anna Love
Anna Love is one of the marathon coaches for the fall Team In Training (TNT) season in North Texas. She will be leading the charge for the Northwest Cities/Grapevine marathon team. Anna has been involved with TNT for a while and is ready to share with her participants all that she's learned about running, the mission of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and how to help athletes, new and old, accomplish their goals. Here are some questions for you to get to know Anna better.
1. What is something special about the Nike Women's 1/2 Marathon San Francisco (a TNT flex event) that people would not know from reading the event brochure?
The Nike Women's Half is a wonderful event that focuses on women. Men are allowed but not many participate - probably because the finisher's medial is a silver Tiffany's necklace and not a traditional medal. One thing that folks may not know about Nike is that the names of all registered runners are listed alphabetically on a wall before the race.
2. Tell us about a moment during training that made you realize how special it is to be a part of Team In Training.
During one season, my team all walked the first mile together in silence along a trail where pictures of all the participant's honored heroes were hung. It was very moving.
3. Team In Training is often called a participant's second family. Can you give an example of a time you felt like your participants were more like family than a bunch of strangers running together?
I have been participating in TNT since 2003, and have fundraised for 20+ events. In addition, I am a double Triple Crowner having completed a run, cycle and triathlon - twice. So I have TNT friends in all three disciplines. My husband, Larry, lost his battle with cancer in 2011. I was overwhelmed by how many TNTers were at the viewing and funeral. The love and support I felt from my TNT family was more than comforting.
4. Share a quote that helps to keep you motivated during difficult trainings.
"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."
- John Bingham, No Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running.
Join Anna this fall season and check out the TNT experience for yourself. Register yourself or a team today at www.teamintraining.org/ntx. Go TEAM!