Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2015

National Cancer Survivors Day


Happy National Cancer Survivor’s Day!  As I plan to enjoy the festivities, today is a celebration of many things for me.  First and foremost, I celebrate all the survivors in my life.  I joined LLS because of my special Hodgkin’s survivor, but in my time here, I have had the privilege of meeting so many blood cancer survivors.  Your strength, courage, and love continue to inspire me.

While each survivor has their own journey, they did not walk alone.  I celebrate the family, friends, caregivers, and loved ones that cheered them on.   Survivors survive with treatment, care, and support.  I celebrate the medical and wellness communities that dedicate themselves to providing for others.  New therapies come from research and innovation.  I celebrate the scientific community devoted to improving the lives of cancer patients and finding a cure.  Research takes time and money.  I celebrate the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and supporters like you for contributing to this life-saving work.  Nothing happens in isolation.  I celebrate the advocates.  Whether you are an advocate for your survivor, an advocate in your community, or an advocate for a political system that supports equitable cancer care, know that you are making a difference.  We celebrate survivors, because there are others whose battles were not won.  I celebrate all those who cancer has taken from this world, but whose spirit and memory survive.  


Today I pay tribute to all the survivors and all the champions of survivors.  We are all warriors in the fight against cancer, and I hope one day to celebrate a cure with each of you by my side.  

Seetha Modi is the North Texas Access Manager for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment