Pages

Monday, September 15, 2014

Big D Climb: Meet a 2015 Chair


Julie Westbrook Eisenberg is one of the co-chairs for the 2015 Big D Climb.  Meet this working mother of two and find out why she is so passionate about helping to expand one of North Texas' fastest-growing events.

What is your connection to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) and its mission?
In February 2012, my father, Darrell Westbrook was diagnosed with AML.  He was my best friend and meant everything to my sister and I.  The two of us took turns flying to St. Louis from Dallas and never left his side during his treatment, which included chemotherapy and a stem cell transplant.  He fought a very courageous and difficult battle.  After losing him to AML in August 2012, my sister and I found that getting involved with LLS was the best thing we could do to honor him and keep his memory alive.  I will do anything in my power to put an end to blood cancers so no one else has to lose a loved one.

How many years have you been involved with the Big D Climb?
This is my second year involved with the Big D Climb.  Last year, I heard about the Big D Climb on the radio and signed up in early January on a whim.  With the help of family and friends, we were one of the top fundraising teams!  I was amazed by how much love and support we received from everyone.  That inspired me and this year, I decided to become much more involved with the Big D Climb and its mission.

What are you most excited about for the upcoming Big D Climb?
This year we are excited about setting our goals a little higher while recruitment more members on our team.  We are extremely excited as we have already doubled our team size so far this year.  We look forward to having a great time training and coming together for such an important cause.

Why should people get registered for the Big D Climb now?
It is so important to register your team now.  By registering early, it gives your team members much more time to fundraise and recruit additional members.

Tell us your strategy for conquering a taller climb this year.
To "train" for this year's Big D Climb, I plan to chase after my two boys (Max - age 3 and Ben - age 1) as much as possible.  I plan to take them for long walks and tell them stories about their Gramps.  If I can squeeze in a few sessions on the stair climber then great, if not - I know my dad would want me to be spoiling and chasing after his grandsons.

No comments:

Post a Comment